Thursday, September 29, 2005

More frameworks, taking my eyes off Python for a moment

Since I am about to more or less formally review some Python web frameworks, it seems to me that this as good a time as any to try out a couple of similar frameworks written in other languages. I like my frameworks written in a dynamic language and I really value simplicity and flexibility, which pretty much rules out .net and Java as framework languages adequate to my tastes.

There are two frameworks that I have read about a lot during the last couple of months, so these are the two that I will test drive. There is no way I could earnestly say I want to check out cool dynamic frameworks and not include Ruby on Rails in my research, so that is my first non-Python candidate. Rails has made a lot of noise and has by far the best marketing of all the frameworks I have mentioned in my posts. Not that it is devoid of any technical merit, of course, but coming from a Python background it doesn't seem to me to be as original and groundbreaking as its proponents suggest. We'll see if it makes me change my mind.

The other very interesting framework I've been wanting to try is Seaside. Written in Smalltalk, a language that I really want to learn (as opposed to Ruby, which is not that attractive to me), Seaside is a component based web framework, and is for me a lot more original than RoR. It appears to be quite powerful too.

I plan to report on my experiments with these two frameworks.

16 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Avi Bryant said...

Carlos, hope you have fun with your framework experiments. If you have any questions about Seaside, let me know; I realize that documentation is sorely lacking.

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous xtian said...

Careful - it's just the moment when you take your eyes off Python that it will strike!

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous kpd said...

There was the python web framework cookoff a few months ago. Perhaps you could tie your research into that? Looking forward to hearing what you find. Although I have mixed feelings becasuse I'm happy with Cherry, Cheetah, and SQLObject and would hate to read about something else that may be better. :)

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to bring up this dead horse again, but most of the [sensible] coverage of RoR has not decreed it "original and ground breaking", but rather well thought-out and arranged, taking care of common things. So it actually took/takes existing ideas and methods and provides easy ways to do those. RoR never made any claim of inventing MVC or anything.

What it does though is provide a very predictable setup and layout, and everything fits nicely together and works with the other parts (since they're all custom-designed to work together, unlike mashups like TurboGears - which is a diff approach).

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Carlos de la Guardia said...

Ok, I'll concede your point about sensible coverage if you agree that there really is a lot of unsensible coverage. Just a quick google search gave me some postings about RoR using the words "groundbreaking", "revolutionary" and "completely new territory". I agree that 37 Signals, though hyping themselves like crazy, clearly state that their ideas are not new and never claim to be the inventors of the wheel. It really doesn't matter, because I intend to try it out regardless of the hype.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I've created a new resource for 100 top baby name 2001 you can with lots of information and links related to 100 top baby name 2001
Now I've finished I thought I look around for other 100 top baby name 2001 sites and see what everyone else is talking about, you know get ome more 100 top baby name 2001 ideas etc...
This blog looks pretty good, though I'm not sure my 100 top baby name 2001 site will get this many visitors - ah well, can only but try ;)
If you have a spare moment please visit my 100 top baby name 2001 site and let me know what you think, I'll check back here again later.

Bye
Steward

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Juno-Regina said...

Compliments

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger My-Juno said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Baby Name Odd said...

Your site Carlos de la Guardia, I found to be interesting. When I was searching for Baby Indian Name yours was the most eye catching. While working on my site Baby Indian Name I have been looking for ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home