Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Plone for newspapers

A newspaper with a modest budget contacted me (thanks to Alan Runyan of Enfold Systems) a couple of months ago because they want to totally rebuild their website using Plone. After a couple of meetings with the client we have agreed on principle to create a full featured newspaper product for Plone, which could be used by other newspapers around the world with limited budgets and small development teams for free.

I have used Plone for a couple of years now and I like it, but I have my doubts about how appropriate it would be for a newspaper project. So, before starting our work I thought maybe I should find out whether other newspapers have been using Plone. I have been unable to find one so far and the Plone guys don't know about one either. I know some newspapers use Zope, but being a CMS, I thought Plone would have its share. Anyway, here's hoping anyone that reads this and knows about a newspaper anywhere that uses Plone would leave a comment. It would be really good to hear about previous experiences of newspapers using Plone.

5 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Adrian Holovaty said...

If it's not too late, I'd suggest checking out Django, a Web framework we originally developed to create newspaper-Web-site content-management systems. (Obviously it does more than that, but it really is the best tool for the job when it comes to creating content-heavy Web sites.)

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous anders said...

i was involved in building a small newspaper-ish site in plone for a class at Columbia's Journalism school: http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/

others are currently working on expanding it to handle all of their online publications.

the site was built very quickly and plone worked quite well for it. an online newspaper is almost a "hello world" for a plone.

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Kevin Smith said...

I've used it on two weekly newspapers sites. Feel free to email me at ksmith93940-dev at yahoo.com

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Carlos de la Guardia said...

Adrian, thanks very much, Django is already in my to-do list. Anders, I think a "hello world" would fall rather short, since we need more advanced stuff, like special workflows, backend integration and NewsML parsing. Kevin, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Kevin Smith said...

Carlos, sorry I didn't clarify. I'd be interested in sharing my experience using Plone on a newspaper site, but I'd rather do so by email.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home